BACKGROUND: ABOUT THE GROUP
The Climate Education group met for a year with the goal of spreading information about climate change to a wider population: people who are totally new to the climate movement, or want to learn more, or are ready to get more actively involved. During that year we launched a Climate Film Series, held once a month on a Saturday afternoon and were very grateful to our friends at the Patagonia Soho store for hosting our meetings.
In addition, we organize public educational forums and mobilizations. Examples: in September 2015 we organized a highly successful climate teach in to prepare for the Paris Climate talks and to develop action strategies to “Power through Paris” and mobilize for a global “Break Free from Fossil Fuels” action in spring of 2016. In Fall 2016, we organized a Forum on Carbon Taxation to educate our members about
Climate Crisis and Community: Mobilizing for a Safe Future
RESTRUCTURING: In fall 2016 we joined with the Sustainable Solutions working group as so many areas of our work overlap.
– We now meet monthly on the second Wednesday of the month at 7pm at New York Society for Ethical Culture, NY. Check our calendar to confirm meeting date.
– We are expanding our “speakers list” and we do active outreach to secure speaking engagements.
– We will run some ‘training’ workshops to develop presentation/ public speaking skills etc. and encourage people who are new to this area to dive in – you will be supported!
– We always include action-items at all our events and provide a way for people to get involved in action.
– We have a listserv (350NYC Climate Education & Sustainable Solutions) that anyone interested in this campaign can join after they have attended one in-person meeting.
– We administer a Climate Literacy Resources Hub . This grew out of the 2014 PCM in New York and is housed on the PCM Climate Literacy Facebook page
How to get involved – We encourage you to first attend one of the 350NYC general meetings, always on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm for new members (main meeting starts at 7pm).
Please email us at 350NYC@gmail.com to find out more.
How to secure a speaker – We would love to come to your organization anywhere in the NY metro region. Please email us at 350NYC@gmail.com to ask for a speaker for your event, class, or community group.