BOTTLE BILL (S.237)
- Expands the type of eligible beverages to include wine, liquor, hard cider, and most
- Increases the redemption fee from five cents to ten cents.
THE PLASTIC REDUCTION AND RECYCLING ACT (S.1064)
The Packaging Reduction and Recycling Act, sponsored by Senator Rachel May, includes the
- Requires companies that produce plastic and paper packaging to be financially
responsible for its end-of-life management.
- Mandates that companies cut their plastic production in half over a ten-year period
and imposes a 70% recycling rate for all remaining packaging.
- Bans the use in packaging of chemicals known to be toxic.
- Prohibits the incineration of plastic waste, including chemical or “advanced”
- Fees paid by manufacturers will provide financial relief to taxpayers and
municipalities, fix recycling, and fund reuse and refill infrastructure.