Saturday, December 12, 2015
NOTE: Event details have changed. Wear Red.
COP21 climate talks are underway in Paris. Whatever is decided at the negotiation tables, we need to show our resolve to continue to demand climate justice and a massive transition to renewable energy.
Please join 350NYC, 350BK and 350NJ and allied faith, labor and student groups in “Protect What You Love/Climate Justice Now” at the Statue of Liberty on Saturday, December 12, 2015 @9:oo am-1:00 pm. Press conference to follow @1pm. Location tba.
Our presence at the Statue of Liberty will send a message to world leaders that we stand together to protect all we hold dear from the threat of catastrophic climate change. As the embodiment of our freedom and liberty, a gift from France as an expression of solidarity with our democratic values, a safe harbor for refugees, and a symbol of hope for people seeking a better life, the Statue of Liberty provides an ideal backdrop for our urgent message.
•We will come dressed wearing red (your own coat, sweater or t-shirt over warm layers) to signify our unified call for climate justice and a swift transition to renewable energy. We will also be providing red hats for all to wear on the day.
•We will take a group photo in front of the Statue of Liberty.
•We will share our selfies using: #ProtectWhatYouLove and #ClimateJusticeNow and #KeepItInTheGround hashtags and invite our friends to do the same from their most beloved places.
At a press conference (1:00 pm in Battery Park, NYC) we will have an opportunity to spell out the consequences of climate change and to articulate our responses to the COP21 talks.
TICKET RESERVATIONS, PAYMENT AND DETAILS HERE: https://cop21-at-liberty- island.eventbrite.com
• There will be two departure points: Battery Park, New York City or Liberty State Park in Jersey City. Make sure you order the right ticket!
• Arrive at 9:00 a.m. Boat departs at 10:00 a.m. (Be back by 1pm for press conference)
• Tickets cost $14 (Senior) and $18 (Adult) plus EventBrite administrative fee.
• Getting there: NYC: Take #1 to South Ferry or #4 or 5 to Bowling Green. Jersey City: please use light rail or carpool. Parking fee is $7.00 per car.
• If you need a subsidized ticket(s), please sign up on the “waitlist” in the EventBrite system, url above. Free tickets will be given in the order of the online list as we are able to raise funds. If you are able to make a donation towards the cost of providing free tickets for those who need them please go to EventBrite. Thank you and see you on December 12th!
More info @ https://www.facebook.com/events/104469846591026/
Sponsors: 350NYC, 350BK, 350NJ.
Co-sponsors: Bronx Climate Justice North, People’s Climate Movement NY, Global Kids, Franciscan Response to Fracking, North Jersey Pipeline Walkers, Green Party of Brooklyn, System Change Not Climate Change, NY Buddhist Climate Action Network, Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt.