The Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew at West 86th Street and West End Avenue
Climate change is threatening our food and water supplies, economy, infrastructure, public health, and the future of NYC. The main cause of climate change is greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas), which trap heat in the atmosphere and warm the planet. We will explore various financial strategies for how we can keep fossil fuels in the ground to prevent catastrophic climate change. Should institutions divest from fossil fuel companies? Or, should they remain invested in these companies to influence their policies as shareholder activists?
- Helen Rosenthal, City Council member, District 6; Chair of the Contracts Committee.
- Liz Krueger, NY State Senator, 28th District; Sponsor, Fossil Fuel Divestment Act.
- Reid Capalino, Senior Energy Analyst, Carbon Tracker Initiative.
- Bradford Goz, Director of Business Development, Fossil Free Indexes.
- Scott Zdrazil, Director of Strategy and Corporate Engagement, Office of New York City Comptroller Scott M. Stringer.
- Shanna Cleveland, Senior Manager, Carbon Asset Risk Initiative, Ceres.
- Geraldine F. Watson, Vice President for Finance and Operations, Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. * RSVP’s are not required. * $3.00 suggested donation at the door.
ORGANIZED BY: 350NYC
Responsible Endowments Coalition, United for Action (UFA), Green Sanctuary Committee CCNY, UU; Indian Point Safe Energy Coalition, Sierra Club, NYC Group; New York Society for Ethical Culture (NYSEC), West 80s Neighborhood Association, Food and Water Watch, Greater NYC for Change, Barnard Divest, the Investure Schools Coalition for Fossil Fuel Divestment, Seven Sisters Coalition for Fossil Fuel Divestment, 350Brooklyn, Stop the Algonquin Pipeline Expansion (SAPE), Social Action Committee of Park Slope UMC, CUNY Divest, Beloved Earth Community, Riverside Church; Broadway Democrats, Three Parks Democrats, Village Independent Democrats, GreenFaith, Safe Energy Rights Group (SEnRG), NYU Divest, Bronx Climate Justice North, Grassroots Environmental Education, Green Education and Legal Fund.
RELATED NEWS: THE FOSSIL FUEL DIVESTMENT ACT
The New York State Common Retirement Fund is a big investor on Wall Street. NY State Senator Liz Krueger and Assemblyman Felix Ortiz are calling on Comptroller Tom DiNapoli to divest from energy companies that rely on coal and gas. Watch this video of Senator Liz Krueger as she discusses her proposed Divestment legislation
Please sign the 350NYC petition to DiNapoli calling for divestment of New York State retirement plan from fossil fuels.